Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fractal-iflower


This is my "Orbit" cauliflower. Though it might be actually "Orbitz". I forget. And some suppliers sell it as "Veronica" which is just lame. In any case, it's a green cauliflower that looks like fractals.

It looks cute in the catalogue, it looks cute here, but it has two problems: one, it makes gigantic plants that take up half the garden, but produce a very small head in the end. And two, it's not that tasty. My peas were exponentially more delicious than store peas. My turnips were exponentially more delicious than store turnips. This cauliflower tastes more or less the same as store cauliflower. It just happens to be green, fractal, and organically grown. Considering that I would generally not buy cauliflower anyway, I'm not convinced I gained anything by growing my own.

Also, it takes forever. I've eaten one head so far. This one is the biggest of four that are currently developing. And one plant is just at the very beginning of forming a head. I think there is a finite chance that I'll try it next year, but right now I'm underwhelmed.

Still, it does look pretty darn cool.

No comments: