Saturday, October 22, 2011

Previously unpublished nemophila


These "Baby Blue Eyes" nemophilas are my favourite. Not only they're the bluest, they're also amazingly long-lasting compared to the "Penny Black" and "Five Spot". They were still wide awake as of this morning, after several days of hard frosts and near-zero temperatures around the clock, and snow. But since they were in the window boxes that I really wanted cleaned up, I uprooted them all.

Anyway, the real point of this photo from September 9 is the white one. For whatever reason, one among the thousands of seeds produced a pure white mutant. Unfortunately I couldn't uproot it to keep it separate for further study and other purposes, since the obligatory stygian overcrowding makes separating one plant from my garden impossible. But just so everyone knows, I had a pure white nemophila in my garden. Neener neener.

No comments: