Monday, January 23, 2012

All plants come to those who wait

I received a spring bulb catalog from Veseys.

Again?

I already ordered spring bulbs. From the advance spring bulb catalog. I'm getting a forty-dollar peony, two types of windflowers even though they're not hardy up here, and some very fancy oriental lilies. And toad lilies. Whatever that is.

So I flipped through the spring bulb catalog, secure in the knowledge that I need nothing, because I ordered my advance bulbs. In advance. Neener neener. You can't tempt me with your free shipping offer.

And then...

on page 59...

J.P. Connell.

The rose I want above all roses. I didn't even think Veseys had roses, and of all the hundreds and hundreds of roses, they have only 12 in their catalog. And one of them is my J.P. Connell.

For months and months, I've been looking for a supplier. Many nurseries won't ship to the Northwest Territories, because they don't want to risk the plant dying in transit. Or they will ship, but at an exorbitant price. Or they will ship, but they have a bad reputation. Or they will ship, but they don't carry J.P. Connell. I was starting to think I'd have to drive down to Alberta to get some, and that's a $200 trip at least.

And now Veseys has J.P. Connell, at a reasonable price, with free shipping. No.1 size plant on its own root. And even should it die in transit, it's only $23.

BOOYA!

After that, of course, I had to go through the whole catalog again with a fine-toothed comb, in case they had something else that I always wanted and couldn't find before. (Ok, "always wanted" is an exaggeration. I've been gardening since 2009, and I've been wanting roses since late summer 2011. It's really more "things I've never heard of before but suddenly must have anyway".)

Well, they certainly have some handsome lilies. And peonies. And a... black geranium.

Baaaaaaaaaahahahaha!

As if. My blue geranium was purple. My black lilies are orange. Sure, I'll buy your black geranium. And some snake oil, and ocean-front property in Arizona. After all, I do get free shipping.

You're never bored when you have a garden.

No comments: