Friday, January 20, 2012

@##%^ bowling!

I don't bowl. I have no interest whatsoever in anything involving a ball and points. But my current set of coworkers are fairly avid bowlers, and one guy on their Friday night mixed league team keeps not showing up, so they insisted I sub for him. So now I'm apparently their designated sub, and I bowled the last two Fridays already, and now I have new baobab seeds. I was looking forward to turning off the phones after work and spending a quiet evening with my dog and my baobab seeds.

Unfortunately...

As I was paying for my baobab sprouting supplies at the hardware store, my boss saw my work vehicle outside, and came in to tell me So-and-So isn't bowling tonight and could I bowl for him?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Boohoohoohoohoo...

I don't even like bowling. Not that I dislike bowling, as in knocking down pins with a ball, but I don't like spending three hours at the bowling alley waiting for the smokers on the other team to take their -ing turn. And it's not sporting when a team member brings a whole stash of magazines to entertain herself while waiting to bowl. Why don't I just bring my baobabs to bowling, then? I want to go home and plant baobabs, dagnabit! Baobabs! Don't you understand that baobabs are much more important than bowling?

To be perfectly honest, bowling did not suck. We were playing my favourite team, the one with all the young people from the electronics store. We had fun. I bowled 122 pins over my average and beat my personal best by 24 pins. I even hit two strikes in a row. Still. Baobabs. I could have been planting baobabs.

Also, I don't like going out in the evenings because I miss my dog. We're sad without each other.

And now it's too late at night to be planting baobabs. Curse you, unreliable bowlers! Curse you to heck!

2 comments:

Megan said...

The key to enjoying bowling is to ignore all of the people around you who take it FAR too seriously.

Mongoose said...

I think that's more the key to bridge. I actually like bowling with the good bowlers, it goes way, way faster than the "just having fun" teams. Plus one of the guys has been giving me good advice and I'm making much progress. I think I'd enjoy bowling more, though, if I could pick my schedule instead of being called in to sub when I'd rather be planting baobabs.