Saturday, August 4, 2012

"They" were right!

What? How is that possible? "They" are never right. You know, "they". As in "they say". "They" never say the right thing. And in the Community Garden, "they" really say all kinds of nonsense. But in this case, "they" are not the people in the garden.

What I'm talking about is this: if you read anything about growing your own vegetables, you'll notice "they" say that vegetables from your own garden are far tastier than the ones from the supermarket. I assumed they were talking metaphorically, as in "you'll enjoy them so much more because of all your hard work" kind of thing.

I was wrong.

On Monday, I picked some peas from my garden. Then I didn't eat them right away, because I had to finish some other food that was in the fridge. Then on... Thursday, I think, I fixed some leftover ground beef with a tiny onion that I had pulled from my garden because it was being crushed by pumpkins. And pasta. And I was gonna cook the peas to go with it, though it seemed kinda weird, in a sense, "cooking" my peas. I mean, clearly, we cook vegetables all the time, but first they've been frozen, wrapped in plastic, and put in the store, and it seems normal to cook them. But somehow, putting my garden peas in hot water seemed weird.

In fact, when you think about it, that's not it at all. I have a mental block about eating food from my garden. Like when my spinach was ready to eat, I didn't feel at all comfortable eating it. I mean, it came out of the dirt. There is manure in there, you know. I put it there myself. And it's all been sitting outside in the dirt, where insects and dogs can pee on it. Ew. I don't want to eat stuff that's been out in the dirt.

That being said, the spinach was really quite tasty. Too bad there was so little of it. And when it comes to peas, if you think about it, they're safely stored in a pod, so they can't get dirty. Much. So I opened one pod and I thought I'd taste one pea to see if it was ok to eat.

Well.

Well, well, well.

Welly, welly, welly.

Wellitsy, wellitsy, wellitsy.

Seriously? That was the best pea I had ever eaten in my life - so far. It's not even "like the store peas except better". It's nothing at all like store peas. It's not nearly as sugary, for one thing. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. These peas, possibly from having grown so far north, are not sugary. They're the most wonderful peas in the world. So I shelled them all and then ate them like candy until they were all gone.

Then I went and picked more.

And more.

Today I just stood in the garden eating peas right off the plant. I did bring some home, too, of course, but only because there were so many, it would have taken all night to eat them. Now they're in a bowl on the table and I keep going over to eat more. Who knew peas were so addictive?

The sad thing is, we only get only two months or so of peas fresh off the plant. The rest of the year, I might have to go back to eating disgusting store peas. Or else never have peas out of season again.

Next year, I'm asking for two plots, and I think one is gonna be just straight peas. A huge forest of peas. Mmmmmm... peas...

No comments: