Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Also, a potato

About two months ago, I had a bag of potatoes, which isn't something I usually do. Being permanently single, I eat mostly toast. But I had a house guest, so I had a bag of potatoes, and some of them started to sprout.

Hmmmmmmmm...

You don't have to say the s-word twice in this house. I picked the most-sprouted potato and put it in a dark-ish, warm-ish corner, and ate the rest. Then I googled "how to plant a potato" and didn't get any satisfactory information, except it said something about waiting until the sprouts did something or other before you plant it. But I forgot what "something or other" was, and I'm too lazy to google it again, so the potato just sat there for two months. Then today, after I had planted my orange seeds, I noticed that the potato sprouts had grown noticeably, and the body of the potato was starting to shrivel. And I seemed to recall that this might have been the "something or other" I was waiting for. Or not.

So I looked around for my Veseys Growing Guide, of which I have three because there is one included in every Veseys shipment, and I couldn't find it. And I don't have internet at home. And, really, I didn't feel like googling again. So I filled a starter pot halfway with soil, watered it, put the potato in it, filled it the rest of the way, packed it, watered it, and put it... under the desk, I think. It's now March, the time of year when plants start to take over the house in earnest, so I have planters on or under almost every piece of furniture that will allow it.

I hope this potato doesn't rot in the soil. Rotten potatoes stink.

1 comment:

Ioana said...

Potatoes are pretty awesome, in the sense that they don't require much care or water. I grew a potato plant when I was 8 or 9 years old... too bad I didn't wait long enough for the tubers to grow a little larger. But I'm telling you, it's easy peasy to grow potatoes.