Friday, March 30, 2012

My troubles are over!

Haha, not even. Still broke, still alive. Blah. But other than that, my salt toxicity troubles are over. As soon as I have $16 to spend at the hardware store that is.

See, I got new neighbours, and they smoke a lot, and it gets into my apartment and poisons me. So yesterday, I went to the hardware store to get a stash of Air Sponges. The air fresheners are at the opposite end of the store from the garden stuff, so that was safe. But then I remembered I needed poop bags, so I had to go around to the pet section, which is near the garden stuff. But I walked back to the till by the shortest route possible. Not my fault it happens to go right past the garden stuff. Most specifically, the pesticide stuff. And I still have a problem with spider mites. So I started looking to see if they had any spider-micide, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a bottle labelled "Liquid Gypsum."

O.

M.

G.

Gypsum is an almost-inert material that forms from... something. Like for example, HCl dissolving limestone. And one of the few things it does, chemically, is binds up salt ions. The self-same salt ions that almost killed my lemon tree.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

As soon as I have $16 to spend in the garden, I'm buying me some Liquid Gypsum.

Sometimes I used to think my B.Sc. degree had been a big waste of time, but it's amazing how useful it is knowing some physics and a little chemistry.

No comments: