Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Baobab Tuesday

Finally, some peace and quiet. As much as I like my little autistic friends, this whole "having a life" thing is totally interfering with the life I had before I had a life.

So, baobabs.

The baobabs have not grown this week. In fact, because I've been measuring to the top of the top leaf, and the top leaf comes out pointing up and then relaxes to the side, I'm getting lower numbers this week. Other than that:



Not much change from last week, really, except:


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Zadok has a brown leaf! Noooooooooooooooooo!

That's horrible. Of course trees can survive a brown leaf here and there, but it's not a sign of health and happiness. In fact, the top two reasons I know for leaves turning brown are too much water and salt toxicity. Boohoohoo I'm so sad!

On the other hand, I may have a simple answer to the question of why they're not getting any taller, thusly:


Yes, I make spreadsheets of my baobabs' growth. You're gonna make something of it?

So anyway, notice that they both topped out at the same time. And this corresponds to when it got sunny (somewhat) and I decided that sunlight was better for them than the lamp, despite evidence to the contrary, and I let them sit in the winter garden all day instead of under then lamp. Therefore, if I put them back under the lamp, they should at least start growing again, which can only be an advantage against whatever is turning the leaves brown.

They better not die, dagnabit. I'm not wasting two perfectly good prophet names on trees just to watch them die.

No comments: