Friday, March 16, 2012

Set for life!

You may remember that last year, I had identified the following product as a good option for my garden:


The outside dimension are 39 3/4 x 39 3/4, so with one thing and another, it works out to just 9 square feet of planting space, by 12" deep. Also, it costs $169, plus four sets of casters at $10 each, so $209, times two planters, plus $50 for shipping: $468.

Haha, very funny. Plus, self-watering is nice, but I have to overwinter these on the balcony. If the reservoir is full when it freezes, the planter will crack. If the reservoir is empty, the roots will dry out. Hmmmm...

As I pondered these grave questions, the 2012 Home Hardware catalog came in the mail, and naturally I perused the garden section, and they had...

.

.

.

?

Ok, well, I can't find it on their website, but it doesn't matter. It's a 48 x 48 x 15 inch PVC planter, not self-watering, and "only" $80. Technically, I hate to spend $80 on anything, and especially on my garden where everything is supposed to be "only two bucks", but really, it's 2.2 times the volume for 34% of the cost. 16 sq. ft. by 15" deep, which is especially important for perennial bulbs which need to be buried quite deep. And NOT self-watering, so I won't have to worry about finding a safe way to freeze it.

So, first thing this morning, I repaired to the hardware store, and procured two of them.

Ok, so the cost was not really in the budget just now, and I'll need to find some accounting to do to make it up. And of course, I'll need to pay for another 40 cubic feet of soil come spring. But I just doubled my growing surface in one fell swoop, and the plants will be far better off with the depth and space to spread, than in their tiny individual planters. And now I never need to buy any more planters, and certainly not for $240 each.

Well...

I suspect I will probably buy a third one of these sooner or later. And I might need some individual ones for my trees. But other than that, I'm set for life as far as planters.

BOOYA!

No comments: