Monday, September 5, 2011

After the storm

Last week we had a storm of wind and rain that lasted three days. Some of the rain looked suspiciously large and white. I thought the garden would be done for, especially the pumpkin. After the storm the temperature dropped to 5 C (41 F).

And then, it went back up to 20 C (68 F) and sunny.

Of course.

Even though first frost is statistically September 15, there is actually plenty of time left. Last year I still had many things blooming by the time I left for Calgary on October 21. In 2009 there were still things blooming when I left for Yellowknife on October 19. So, I should still have at least a month and a half of flowers.

Sadly, this doesn't apply to my pumpkin, as pumpkins allegedly need 20 C to grow, and don't take kindly to frost. But at least it still leaves plenty of time for the things that have not flowered yet, including but not limited to:

  • hollyhocks,

  • marigolds,

  • flax (still alive, though growing upside-down because of the crowding),

  • Darth Plant,

  • and the following varieties of morning glories:
    • Heavenly Blue

    • Kniola's Black Knight

    • Chocolate

    • Flying Saucers

    • Crimson Rambler

    • Double Sunrise Serenade

    • Pearly Gates

There are a few that I don't expect until next year, and a few I don't expect at all, but over all, it's been a rather successful season in terms of the percentage of stuff that flowered.

Also, the new Adansonia za is almost through the surface, and the first lychee has a root. I boiled one of the seeds that hadn't cracked yet, but it doesn't seem to be any faster for it. And the pear trees are still numerous and healthy. Holly and apricot seeds are still in stratification. And I'm thinking of getting some catalpa seeds, but I don't have a supplier for them right now.

The lemons are still outside. They have not been watered since August 1 and are much better for it. The dieback stopped almost immediately when I stopped watering, and they have not expressed any desire for water ever since. They are still short on nitrogen, so I gave them some manure, but without water to mix with it, I don't think the nutrients are spreading through the soil all that much. I'm not planning on watering them again until they come inside, that way they'll be easier to move. It should only be another two weeks at most anyway. I think they've been quite happy on the balcony all summer, insofar that it's possible for a plant to be "happy".

What else... the chokecherries are still alive. They're not doing much, which is normal as they put on their growth in the spring. I've said that already. The passiflora vines didn't do well in the storm, I had forgotten about them and left them outside. There are still a few alive, but they don't seem to be getting bigger. Oh well. I wasn't really attached to them anyway.

And that's about it. I'm really looking forward to next year already. I have big plans. (In fact my shopping list for next year is up to $290 so far. Hmmmmmm...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I looked up the number for the mental health team. Perhaps you were kidding when your wrote the criteria? If so, please excuse my concern for you.

But if you really are struggling with mental health you can phone

867-874-7100

Don't be afraid to reach out for help. Mental illness is a serious disease and help is available.

I really hope you are okay.

The only thing I ask is that you do not harm anyone else, please.

Mongoose said...

The part about the SIN number to get into my other blog is my way of saying "don't even bother cause I'm not inviting you." The other criteria are so I know who's reading my private blog and I can hold them accountable for their destructive behaviour if the need arises. The comment to the person who suggested I'm paranoid is as it is because of an ongoing relationship I had with her and no longer have, for obvious reasons.

That phone number is totally useless for mental health or any other help. I think their morgue is the fastest service they provide. But I have plenty of medication, thank you. :)