Friday, September 2, 2011

The last pumpkin


My final pumpkin is already bigger than its ill-fated predecessor and looking healthy, but the nights are getting cold. Actually, the days are getting cold too. By pumpkin standards, that is, not compared to winter temperatures. So, I don't know how much more growth I'll get out of this little dude.

For next year, I'm hatching a new strategy. I can think of three options.

1) No pumpkins.
2) Atlantic Giant pumpkins. If I can grow a 2" pumpkin from a regular variety, maybe I'll get a full-size pumpkin out of the giant variety.
3) Early-maturing regular-size pumpkins. That's probably the smarter thing to do, right? This variety, Small Sugar, is 100 days, but some fast pumpkins mature in as little as 60 days.

Something to think about over the long dark winter, anyway.

No comments: