Saturday, September 10, 2011

Baobab Friday


This is not good. The new Adansonia za died before it even finished sprouting, and now Adansonia digitata is turning brown. I suppose it could be normal, since baobabs are deciduous and normally have leaves only three months a year, but I'm not optimistic. Also, is it supposed to be so pale?

So, I repotted A. digitata in a different medium. I had planted the seeds in regular potting soil, but my instructions (the ones that suggested boiling the seeds) recommended a mixture of sand, perlite and compost. I did that, except with manure instead of compost. That makes sense, really. The regular soil holds water way too long, then seeds rot. This mix drains much better, which not only should delay rotting, but will allow me to water, and therefore feed more often.

That being said, the tree is looking even less happy now. Sigh... I boiled all the remaining seeds and planted them with it, and also all the lychee seeds that were starting to sprout. What's good for baobabs could be good for lychees too.

Then I ordered more baobab seeds, as this is not going so well.

And that was Baobab Friday.

No comments: