Friday, November 25, 2011

The Great Pumpkin Problem

I may have mentioned, repeatedly, that I have a problem with pumpkins. Namely, they don't grow fast enough. But the cool thing is, so does everybody else here. So it's not me being inept at pumpkins; there really is a pumpkin problem here.

While looking at the times-to-maturity of different varieties, to see when I should start them for a mid-August maturity, I quickly realized where the problem is. The average time from transplant to maturity, between all the varities offered by my supplier, is 96 days. That means having to transplant out on May 11.

Haha, very funny. There is still snow on the ground on May 11. Nothing can get planted out until the end of June, and keeping a pumpkin indoors for two months is a nuisance, as they spread over the floor like... fleash-eating aliens, or something.

I must think of a solution.

No comments: