Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ok, so here is what I need

I was contemplating the sad problem of my balcony. You see, most of it is in part shade, and some is in full shade. And most plants I like want full sun, which is at a premium on this balcony.

An obvious solution would be to move to an X07 apartment, which has a southeast exposure, whereas X01, where I am now, is a northeast exposure. But the X07s are one-bedroom and therefore much more expensive. Besides, the one on my floor is already taken, and I like my floor. Plus, I don't want to move. So no.

Second solution: grow plants that like shade.

Meh. I grow plants I like. I'm not gonna grow plants I don't like just because they like it in the shade. If I see a shade plant I like, I'll get it, but otherwise, no. Though as to that, pansies, nemophilas, and allegedly the non-blue geranium, all do quite well in the shade. So I could sow my upcoming Sea of Pansies on the shady side, I suppose.

Third solution: get a grow light. That's what you do when plants don't get enough light, right? So I could get a big grow light and mount it to the underside of the balcony above. But then I'd have to pay for electricity, which is stupid. I'm not wasting power on making plants grow.

Fourth solution: get a solar-powered grow light. Is the idea of a solar-powered lamp ridiculous? Sounds ridiculous. Nonetheless, I would almost bet money that if I google, I'll find solar-powered grow lights somewhere. And if not, it doesn't matter much, because you can get a solar panel and a grow light separately anyway. Then I can mount the solar panel on the sun side and the grow light on the shade side, and as long as the sun shines on the sun side, the lamp will shine on the shade side.

Gardening is so surreal, it makes psychedelic substances redundant.

No comments: