Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What else can I pasteurize?

The thing is, there is no point pasteurizing your soil if you're going to touch it with the same germy tools you use in the contaminated soil. So then, you're supposed to pasteurize / sterilize everything that will come into contact with the soil. And me without an autoclave...

Ok, I boiled some forks and spoons, which I will be using to scoop the soil into the pots and cultivate it. I didn't boil the containers themselves, which are 4" geranium starter pots. Being made of plastic, I don't think they'd take kindly to boiling. I did wash them with dish soap, as I don't have bleach on hand just now. These pots have never been used anyway, so there is no reason they should have seed-eating vermin in them yet.

You know what else might be carrying vermin though? The seeds. What if there is vermin on the seeds? I guess the baobab seeds are safe since I boil them before seeding anyway, but what about the kwyjibo seeds?

Ha. If you thought gardening was a sound, relaxing pastime, you've come to the wrong blog.

No comments: