Thursday, February 2, 2012

More and more curiouser

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with Za 1 and Digitata 1, to avoid making the same mistake. Having been very careful how I watered Za 7 so far, I decided that I must have over-watered the other two, and proceeded to prove it mathematically.

At first it seemed I must be right: Digitata 1 got 4124 mL of water in 91 days, Za 1 got 3875 mL in 70 days, and Za 7 got 1575 mL in 70 days. Clearly, I was watering way too much.

Except... Za 1 and Digitata 1 were in 6" planters, and Za 7 was in a 4" planter.

Math math math math blah blah, and the moral is, Digitata 1 averaged 76 mL a month and Za 1 averaged 92 mL a month, which is normal for rainy season conditions. Za 7 has been getting 84 mL a month so far.

So my theory seems rather shaky so far. But maybe if we consider that Za 1 and Digitata 1 also got left out in the rain repeatedly, and that the soil was saturated and packed firmly before I seeded them, and that they weren't under a lamp and didn't have consistently have high temperatures... maybe it still is a question of over-watering.

Oh well. As long as Za 7 doesn't die (inshallah), I suppose it doesn't matter very much.

No comments: