Saturday, February 18, 2012

Zut alors

I decided to throw out the moldy seeds in the hot house kit and start over. So I boiled some water and threw in one A. grandidieri..

It floated.

Hmmmmmm...

Long story short:


All four seeds float. And if I'm not mistaken, so did the first one.

And yes, it does matter, because normally live seeds sink. Seeds that float are dead. And I'll spare you the photos, which I haven't even shot anyway, but I did put these four seeds in growing medium anyway, and now they have both white and green mold on them. Now maybe I didn't clean the tray properly after throwing out the last batch, but I don't think that's the problem, because there are three varieties of seeds in there, and the problems seem to run by type.

The other two types, for the record, are coffee and kwyjibo. The coffee seeds also all floated. They always seemed too light to me anyway. The kwyjibo, which is my last kwyjibo seed, sank. Inshallah, maybe it will sprout yet.

And the moral is, obviously, that I need more A. grandidieri seeds.

No comments: