Monday, February 27, 2012

They're watching me!


These are my monitor plants. The planter contains holly seeds, which can take three years to sprout, if they don't die in the mean time. So to monitor soil conditions while we wait, I planted some of the Insanity seeds I harvested from the Wall of Insanity last year.

As of yesterday, all the vines were leaning towards the window, but I noticed one of them had begun twining around another, so they're at the age where they need a stake. But as you can see, I put the stake behind the vines. Insofar that a plant has a front and a back. And as of this morning, as you can see, not only one vine has reached the stake already, but several are leaning away from the light and towards the stake.

What in the world?

Theoretically, plants have no eyes, brain, mouths or ears. Yet evidently, they were quickly able to detect the presence of the stake and redirect to take advantage of it, so they must have something about them that can see what I'm doing, strategise, and communicate.

That's disturbing.

No comments: