Monday, June 27, 2011

Garden ninja

I was planning on getting cuttings from the Power Corp across the street from me, but their grounds maintenance guy was maintaining until all hours, and I figured it would be simpler to wait till he was gone. That way I don't have to ask permission. Not that he'd have cared if I took two cuttings off a shrub, I'm sure, but I'm not into talking to people all that much. This way I get the same result with less conversation. So, once he was gone, I went to walk the dog, with a sharp knife in my pocket. Hm... That's stupid.

Nothing untoward happened. On our way back in, I harvested two cuttings. I'm not sure I got the right part of the branch; my instructions said "new growth that is not woody yet but breaks when bent sharply, toward the top of the tree, not flimsy, and not too vigourous." Er... What?

Ok, whatever. I got two things of new growth. One green, one not so green. Maybe the not-so-green one is too "woody" yet.

So, step 1:


Harvest cuttings. Put in plastic bag.

Step 2:



Cut to "about 5 inches" just below a leaf node. Remove most of the leaves except "a few small leaves".

Step 3:


Stick in rooting gel.

Step 4:

Wait several weeks.

Hmmm... Far from me to complain, but it's been 40 minutes and right now they're drooping like molluscs. I don't think this is working very well.

Oh well. Plenty more where that came from.

No comments: