Thursday, June 30, 2011

Stratify, schmatify

I got bored of stratifying my pear seeds. Technically they're supposed to have another month to go, but it wasn't working out. At first I had them in peat, but it was hard to find them to check on them, and I was worried they'd get moldy. So I switched them to paper towel about two weeks ago, and that worked even less because it kept drying out. I should have put a lid on them.

So, I don't know if they're even still alive, but I'm tired of stratifying them, so I soaked them in water overnight and them planted them pointy-end down. If they don't grow, I'll get some more in the spring and put them out on the balcony in late April, that way they'll have pretty normal conditions and won't have to be disturbed all the time.

The one that did sprout is still doing fine, though it hasn't shed its husk yet. I always get paranoid about seed husks not falling off, because if they stay too long the plant can't photosynthesize and dies, but then again, if you try to pull it off to soon, it rips up the leaves.

In many ways, I'm much too impatient to garden.

No comments: