Sunday, June 26, 2011

No raindrop feels responsible for the flood


This is a graph of how much water I've been putting into my garden. Each data point is a week, starting from May 10. It doesn't include the water required to saturate new planters when filling them, or the water that goes into the lawn.

The average for the last seven days is 10 L per day, even though it's been getting fairly cool. For the seven days before that, 4 L per day.

Hmmmmmm...

That's an alarming trend, isn't it?

Worse: from the start of the watering log on April 21, I've put 198 L into the garden, plus the lawn.

Hmmmmmm...

That's the thing with gardening, everything is tiny, then it adds up. Like seeds. As I've been saying repeatedly to my regular readers, it's easy to keep buying seeds because each packet is "only" two bucks. The average cost of seeds and bulbs in my garden this year is $2.70 per packet or bulb. So you always think another one won't hurt, because "it's only $2.70." Enough times $2.70 can be a lot of money, though.

And so with the water. In April, I didn't even have to water once a week, so I kept thinking what an economical garden I had. Now it's up to 10 L a day already, and other than Insanity Plant, nothing's bigger than a sprout yet.

Hmmmmmmm...

Well, on the other hand, it's offsetting my carbon footprint. I wonder how many plants I need to sink my entire CO2 output?

No comments: