Monday, June 27, 2011

More things that don't cost much

I went to the hardware store to get rooting gel. I've never tried cuttings yet, but for lack of something better to do, I'm going to try one.

One what, exactly?

I have no idea. It looks like this:


I've been looking in my book of shrubs, Lois Hole's Favorite Trees and Shrubs, and I'm thinking maybe a hybrid plum. But it says plums flower in "early spring", and these were shot in July, at the same time the lilacs bloom. But then again, in Calgary, lilacs bloom in May, which is "spring", so maybe July up here counts as "spring" as far as plants are concerned. That would make sense, actually. The other thing I could try is lilacs, but, meh. Given our location, I'm thinking most lilacs in this town are Preston lilacs, and almost all are pink or, well, lilac. But I like blue things, so I want a blue lilac like a President Lincoln. (I could have sworn it was called President Greely, but oh well. I swear quite gratuitously anyway.) So I'd rather buy a greenhouse lilac when I go back to work, than get some pink lilacs from cuttings. Pink is just not "me".

Ok, so anyway, I go to the hardware store for some rooting gel, and I end up with this:


Another "that's just $2" moment. The gel itself was $4.49, and I hadn't brought cash, and stores don't like to take cards for $4.49, so I thought I'd spend a couple more dollars. I couldn't find a planter I had a use for, even though several trees are going to need them before the end of summer. Hopefully after work starts and not before. I contemplated those blown-glass watering globes, because they're pretty, but I don't need watering globes. Maybe when work starts, I'll get some for the baobabs, since they won't be on the dripline, but for now, don't need them.

So, I got some seeds. Pampas' plumes, I already had some, but sprouting performance has been craptacular so far. Possibly because they're supposed to be seeded in the fall, not in the spring. Oops. The other one, poppies, you might think I have more than enough poppies already, but these are called "Falling in Love". Ooooooooh! Well we could use some falling in love around my house, so, in they go.

And this is how you always end up with way more stuff in the garden than you planned on.

Then while I was waiting in line at the checkout, I noticed it says on the cutting gel, "fun and easy". Oh, goody! I'm always getting told I'm no fun. Ha! I'll show them! I'm so much fun, even my rooting gel is fun. Booya!

Also, I noticed that the library has some nice yellow lilies that are getting way overcrowded, so in the fall, I'm gonna dig some of the bulbs.

I think next year I'm gonna have to move to a bigger apartment so I have room for all my plants.

No comments: