Saturday, June 18, 2011

Run for your lives!!!!!!!!


The baobabs are sprouting. I was gazing into the dirt as part of my many-times-daily ritual of gazing into the dirt, and there it was: a baobab sprout. An Adansonia digitata sprout, specifically. But I had my heart set on Adansonia za all along, so I gazed into the dirt of that planter, and saw that one of the seeds was almost at the surface. This annoyed me, because I had planted them 1" deep and covered them carefully, so what gives? So I brushed some of the dirt away carefully and saw that it has a root. Soon the seed husk will split and it will break the surface.

Both these sprouts are the seeds that were scalded with boiling water. The moral is: the fastest way to sprout baobabs is with boiling water. Who knew?

The thing is, now that I have baobabs, I'm actually kinda creeped out. Who has baobabs in their apartment? This is where I sleep. I don't want to sleep next to a baobab sprout.

Well, I guess I should have thought of that before I planted a tree that lives 800 years. (By the way, anyone want to inherit a baobab? I'm trying to think what to do with them when I die.)

No comments: