Friday, July 22, 2011

Baobab Friday

Adansonia digitata at 34 days:


It's still 3" wide but now 1 1/2" tall and seems to have three or four true leaves. Let's say I'm calling it Isaiah, subject to change without notice if I feel like it.

Adansonia za at 31 days:


This one has actually lost height, from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4, but that's because like I said, the baby leaves were standing up instead of opening out. Now they've opened a little more so it's gained in width what it's lost in height. It still has only one true leaf, as far as I can tell. Let's say I call it Ezekiel.

This week we had thunderstorms Monday and Tuesday afternoon, and then overcast with chance of shower Wednesday afternoon through Thursday evening, and now it's sunny again. I left the baobabs out in the rain because on the one hand, they're so short and stocky that they're indifferent to wind, and on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it does rain in Africa, so surely they can take it. But now there is a green moss growing in their planters. Some of the other trees have it too; I think their soil is too humid because they drink water so slowly. However, it doesn't seem to harm any of them.

And that's all that's happened with the baobabs this week. Still no sign of the other four seeds that were planted. So if you're trying to grow baobabs, I highly recommend boiling them instead of just soaking them.

No comments: