Saturday, July 23, 2011

A tip on filling planters

I hope no one is actually taking advice from me, because I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'll tell you something about filling planters. If you just fill the pot to the top and soak it like it says on the bag of potting soil, it will have air gaps and will settle afterwards, leaving roots exposed.

What you want to do is work in layers. Four to six inches, pack down with your hand until it won't pack any more, then soak with water. See if any part of the soil sinks after the water recedes. If so, it needs more packing. If not, do another layer, and so on.

It's also good to have a reserve of soil handy, in case settling happens anyway. If there are a lot of gaps, the soil will keep settling after each watering, and you'll have to keep topping it up until it stops moving.

No comments: