Monday, July 11, 2011

It's hot

It's actually not that bad. Or at least it's gonna get much worse. But compared to last week when there were several cool, overcast days, and some rain, this week is hot. And I stepped out on the balcony, barefoot, in the early afternoon, and the concrete was hot.

Well, of course the concrete was hot. Concrete has huge heat capacity. But actually observing how hot it was even though the sun was no longer on it made me more convinced than before that concrete kills pumpkins. The plants itself are fine, though of course everyone is drinking a lot in this weather, but the fruits sit right on the concrete, then they die. But this year, I have a plan. I noticed a house on my daily walks where there is a stash of rigid insulation that's not being used. They've had it for a long time, and they're obviously neither using it nor able to return it to the store. But if I could buy a sheet or two, I could set the pumpkins on top, and that would insulate them from the hot concrete.

Also, I just bought some vegetable fertilizer. All my plants have been getting all-purpose since last year, and I suppose it's fine, but I figured vegetable fertilizer might help get some vegetables, not just flowers. I had a beautiful crop of pumpkin flowers last year; now I want actual pumpkins.

While I was out in the garden, I decided to tie strings to the railing and see if the Wall of Insanity takes the bait. And while I had string out, I tied the poppies to the railing as well, so they'll stop interfering with everything else I'm trying to grow.

And... that's about what I did in the garden today. I thought I was doing lots of stuff, but mostly I spent time watering. Still no flowers, but the greenery is most pleasing.

No comments: