Thursday, July 14, 2011

Good grief, these things are expensive

Since my peony turned out to be a rose, I'm still on the market for a peony. I like this one:


You like? It's called "shima nishiki". It's Japanese. I think it's very pretty.

It costs $55.

Plus $20 for shipping and handling.

Plus $3.75 GST.

Plus $0.50 fuel surcharge.

Anything else?

Nope, that's all of it. $79.25. Eighty bucks.

Eighty bucks? Have I mentioned lately there are kids starving in Somalia? That you could donate money to here? $10? Pretty please?

Oh, right, I was talking about my peony. My eighty-dollar peony.

That's ridiculous.

You know what peonies do for your feng shui? They "activate your relationship luck." My regular readers know this cause I'm on about it all the time.

Ha.

When I meet a man who's worth spending eighty bucks, I'll buy a peony.

Ok, I lie. As soon as we get to Rocanville and I pay my overdues and I send some more money to Somalia, I'm buying this peony. Aye, but there's the rub: there is a limited supply of peonies and they're first-come first-serve. A lot of the varieties are already sold out for this year. And they ship in September / October, so if I don't get mine this year, I have to wait another year. And who knows what the world economy will look like a year from now.

I'm so tired of waiting for this job to start.

No comments: