Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I need more planters

I'm looking at what's going where for next year. Yep. Only seven weeks till first frost already. Sigh...

Anyway. Two problems: one, I need planters for all my trees, and two, I need bigger planters. Most of what I have is 6, 8 or 10 inches, and that's just not doing it. I can put trees in the tall 10"es for a while, because trees need height more than surface area, but for the flowers, I need more ground, not more depth. I need more 12- and 14-inch planters.

So first of all, for next year I need to buy nine tall 10" self-drain planters (that's the ones with the false bottom). That's gonna cost money... which hopefully I'll have because we'll be working in Rocanville? Pretty please? Then I can also buy that big wheeled planter for the peonies.

Other than that, I think I'm gonna move the pansies to the 12" planter currently occupied by Peng Dehuai. Right now they're occupying half of an 8" planter. For next year I'm getting three more packs: Black Knights and two more mixes from Veseys' Matrix series. So four times as many seeds in 12" should work out great.

The 10" planter currently occupied by Liu Shao-ch'i is going to be for the shooting stars.

The planter boxes are gonna be phacelias in one and nemophilas in the other, not the two together.

The geraniums are not coming back, given their dismal performance, and I'll only keep one pot of English daisies. The two planters thus freed will be for trees. The asters are also not coming back because they're failing to amuse me, but I'm not sure what to do with their planter. It's a regular drain one so I don't want perennials in it, as I don't like having those pots in the house. Likewise Insanity Plant's pot is retiring from Insanity service and will be outside with some annuals, not sure what. Maybe they'll be the catch-all for impulse purchases that would normally clog up the Jungle. Maybe some dianthus and marigolds.

The baobabs may or may not move to bigger planters, depending how fast they grow. Then the little 6" planters can be used for things that got crowded out this year, particularly Darth Plant.

The Wall of Insanity and the pumpkins will continue as they are now, as will the lemons.

That leaves jacks-in-the-pulpit, and I'm thinking of buying a rose bush. Those will need somewhere to go, no doubt. I'm thinking jacks-in-the-pulpit can go in the Jungle.

Ah, the Jungle. Once again failing because once again I got impatient and threw all kinds of seeds in it to make more volume early on. Now I'm gonna have to weed out everything that should never have been there in the first place, and plant way more globes. And more flax. And none of all the other crap I threw in there. Then once all the superfluous stuff is removed, that should leave room for jacks-in-the-pulpit... and no doubt all kinds of new I'll pick up on impulse at the store and curse for months afterwards when it shades my prize plants.

One of the good things about gardening is, there is always next year.

No comments: