Monday, July 25, 2011

Now what?

I noticed something about my convolvulus.


It's growing from the stalk, not from the vine climbing on the stalks. Which means these stalky things I took for four o'clocks are in fact convolvulus (convolvuluses? convolvuli?), and the supplier was right about the "non-climbing habit" after all. But then... what are these vines doing in the Jungle? I didn't plant anything climby in the Jungle, or I thought I didn't. The leaves don't look right for morning glories, and now it has buds on it which are most definitely not morning glories or convolvuli.


Is this another zombie? Did I seed anything climbing in previous years? I remember I had sweet peas, but they never flowered and the leaves aren't right for that. But I don't know any climbing weeds in town either. That might not be to the point, since I did finally discover some black mustards growing in my landlord's garden, but that's not to say mine came from his. Could be the opposite. In fact his are much smaller and haven't flowered yet, but then again, he's had a guy with a weed-whacker go through it once or twice, so maybe they're only growing now because no one has paid any attention to that garden in some time.

Speaking of the black mustard, by the way, the parable of the mustard seed was read at church this Sunday, and it says that mustard is a tiny seed but grows to the size of a tree. Really? Good thing I killed all of mine then. It probably wouldn't grow that big in this climate, but I have enough to do with the trees I planted myself.

Anyway, so I still don't know where the black mustard came from, or for that matter the fleabane, which is much bigger than the ones growing wild in town. And I have no idea what this vine in my Jungle is and where it came from. Judging from the buds on it, it's gonna be another pathetically small flower and I can get rid of it too. But I'd really like to know what all these weeds are doing in my garden and how they get here. Could insects be carrying them? I noticed some of my leaves have been chewed by insects, though not in alarming numbers.

Gardening is such a mysterious thing.

No comments: