Saturday, July 30, 2011

Things I love about gardening

I love to watch my plants drink water. Because my life is just that exciting.

Consider the following. Friday night before bed, I thought the pumpkins would need water on Saturday, but they didn't just yet. But it's a big plant and Saturday was hot, so by the time I went out to water, they had sucked their soil so dry it was cracking (and this is potting soil) and were drooping.

Gasp!

I gave them four liters of water, which is a lot considering the pot itself is only 8 L. Some of it flowed into the false bottom, but it didn't overflow. That's how dry they were, even though the day before they looked ok.

Within minutes, all the droopy leaves and flowers were upright and full of pep again.

Fascinating!

If you thought this story was boring, consider yourself lucky it took a lot less time to tell it than to live it. But I found it fascinating. Also, by evening they had sucked up most of the water in the false bottom already. They might need more tomorrow, but usually I try to avoid watering them too much on the weekend, so they'll hold a lot of water on Monday, which is their fertilizing day. More water, more fertilizer, therefore hopefully more pumpkins.

Another thing I like about plants is they're clever. Now you're thinking "no they're not, they have no brains."

Be that as it may, whenever there is a thunderstorm, most of my tall plants go limp. I don't know how they do it, because I thought rigidity depended on how much water is in the stem, but I'm starting to doubt this theory. Because they very clearly give up some rigidity whenever there is a strong blast, and straighten themselves out afterwards. Obviously this reduces breakage from the wind. What's amazing is that creatures with no brains figured it out.

No comments: