Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Female pumpkin flower!

I can't believe my pumpkin flower went from this:


to this:


in just three days. Especially while the aster buds have taken two weeks so far to open halfway. "They" should cross asters and pumpkins, see if they can make a fast-opening aster. Or a bright pink pumpkin. Baaaahaha! That would be awesome.

Anyway. I only have two male flowers today. Since they're on the north vine and the female flower is on the south vine, I like to believe they're two different plants and I didn't just fertilize one plant with itself. Time will tell, I suppose. Not that I have any way to know whether a pumpkin is "normal" or horribly inbred.

The timing of this flower definitely shows why it's useful to pollinate by hand, though. Since it's cool and cloudy today, there aren't any insects of any respectable size on my balcony. In fact, I've only seen one wasp all summer, and there hasn't been a bumblebee up here in months. So if I had to wait for insects, I'd never get any pumpkins.

Notice also the difference between the female flower parts above, and the male flower parts which are like this:


I think I like plants a lot better than people.

No comments: