Monday, August 8, 2011

There's a raven eating my morning glories

All winter, I was feeding the ravens. More accurately, I was feeding A raven, because he established my balcony as his territory and kept all the other ravens away, except his girlfriend. Then in spring I cut him off, because he can get his own food when it's nice out. But he must be running out of food out there for some reason, because he's back on my balcony. He expressed some displeasure with all the vegetation that didn't use to be there, but once I put some bread and peanut butter out, he soon found his way around.

The thing with ravens is that they're not like dogs, they don't learn your schedule. Or they just don't care. So even though I've only ever fed the raven once a day, he keeps coming back and asking for more. And if I don't feed him, he yells at me. So today, having eaten his peanut butter, he's determined to get more. So he sits on the railing where he can look into the living room and yell at me, and he gives me these big long rants, and then from time to time he bites my morning glories.

Hmmmmm...

I don't really care, insofar that I have more morning glories than I know what to do with and they're indestructible, but the thing is, their seeds are psychedelic; I don't know about the rest of the plant, but I'm sure nothing good can come of having a bunch of stoner ravens hanging out on my balcony. Hopefully he's just shredding them, not eating them.

Also, he trampled all the nemophilas and the geraniums. Maybe that's my excuse for getting rid of the geranium?

No comments: