Friday, August 12, 2011

Garden Ninja and the Test of Patience

I just got my order from my supplier of rare seeds. It contains shooting stars, jacks-in-the-pulpit, and black pansies for next year, and holly. I've been coveting holly for a while. It was one of my favourite trees growing up, and it would be nice to have some around the house at Christmas.

Ok.

Directions for growing holly from seed: soak in water 24 hours; warm stratify 60 days; cold stratify 60 days; the seeds will then take 16 to 36 months to germinate.

Yes, I typed that right. 16 to 36 months to germinate. Plus the four months of double stratification (and you know how I feel about stratification). Ok, so I should have sprouts shortly before Christmas 2014. Sprouts, mind you. Not trees. Sprouts.

So the first challenge is, which of my planters do I want to devote to bare dirt for the next three years while we wait for the holly to sprout?

No comments: