Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Gardening post-season

Actually, we're not quite reduced to that yet, but fall is progressing more and more rapidly. Yesterday I saw a flight of cranes going south, and more of them today. And my water curve is finally going down, and it's night at nights, and all that.

Yet, the garden is still growing. Something in the Jungle is making pink buds, and there are buds on the Wall of Insanity that may finally be something other than Star of Yelta. The nemophilas bounced back with a fourth wave, namely the Baby Blue Eyes. Nice to know for next year that the three varieties flower in succession: Five Spot, then Penny Black, then Baby Blue Eyes.

The downside of all this is that there isn't much gardening to do just now, and I'm bored. I could whack the pumpkins, but there is still hope. The asters and pansies are thriving. The English daisies are coming along a bit. The Wall of Insanity hasn't even started yet. The Jungle is full of mysterious lifeforms. I can't start more stuff, except trees, and I can't start decommissioning anything yet. Nothing needs repotting or weeding or anything.

What to do...

I'd like to buy a big garbage can and start dumping used soil into it so I can amend it, but it's not a good time to spend money.

I'd like to move the maydays to smaller planters, but I don't know how big their root balls are. I suppose I could check.

I'd like to move A. digitata to a bigger planter, but there's no need for that yet.

I'd like to kill the geranium, but the foliage is thriving and it's supposed to be a perennial.

I'd like to get the oriental lily into a much smaller planter, as I gave it the biggest I had because it was supposed to spread, and it hasn't. They should have mentioned that it takes years to spread out.

I'm bored and broke and I'd like to do some gardening, and nothing needs gardened. Some days I'm not in a very good mood.

No comments: