Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pumpy-umpy-umpkin


This is my lead pumpkin. It's firm and firmly attached to its stem, and shows no sign of wanting to let itself die. On the other hand, if you read my interview in the local newspaper, where it says the pumpkin is "the size of a baseball", that's not true, nor did I say such a thing. This here pumpkin is a total of two (2) inches in diameter. World's smallest baseball... but it's the biggest pumpkin I've ever grown yet. I hope it doesn't die soon.

There are two more candidates, one on the north vine, pollinated August 19, looks like it's gonna die, and one on the south vine, pollinated yesterday, no idea yet whether it will live or die. And I've been saying the boss pumpkin is on the "south" vine but it's really on the east vine. So now I have one candidate on each vine. But really I'm gonna chop two off pretty soon. It's only three weeks to first frost, there's no point keeping these late-blooming pumpkins around.

No comments: