Friday, August 19, 2011

Keep up the good work, pumpkin!


This is the current pumpkin candidate, six days after fertilization. It's in good health and I think it's even getting bigger.

Meanwhile, another female flower opened on the north vine, hidden between Insanity Plant and the Jungle, and although I had been keeping an eye on it, I didn't check this morning, and so I never noticed until after ten, when all the flowers were already wilting. I did get it fertilized, but that goes to show how high-maintenance these things are if you don't have a good supply of pollinating insects. The window of opportunity is about four hours, I think.

There is one more female bud on the south vine, which I expect to open tomorrow. Then I'd have three candidates. I hope one of them gets growing fairly aggressively so I can whack everything else; it would cut down on competition. Inshallah. (I'm a Lutheran, but Muslims have way cooler sayings than we do, so I use theirs.)

No comments: