Wednesday, August 3, 2011

That's ironic


I've been keeping an eye on this thing since it budded on July 25, thinking it might be a zombie. But yesterday the buds started to crack open and as you can see, they're blue.

Er... What? Blue zombies? That doesn't sound right. But I couldn't think of anything I would have planted that might make clusters of blue flowers, either. It sounds exactly like something I would do, but I couldn't think of any such thing I might have seeded.

Oh well. A blue zombie is a good zombie. I think I'll keep it.

Later that day, I was reading yet another garden book, and under the annuals it lists Myosotis alpestris or "forget-me-not".

Eureka!

I remember now. I did seed some forget-me-not. Twice, in fact. Last year, which didn't come up, and again this year. I totally forgot about that.

Haha. That's ironic.

(Speaking of blue things, the master gardener at my geranium supplier got back to me on my non-blue geranium and said move it to a more shady spot, it should turn blue. And indeed the ugly purple flowers have begun to turn blue, which so far has only made them uglier. Besides, it seems to be done flowering for the year, after producing all of FIVE ugly purple flowers. They've shipped me a new bare-root one, which is pointless this time of year, but maybe they'll live until next year and keep on taking up room. If they give me non-blue flowers two years in a row I'm going to be very displeased.)

No comments: