Friday, August 19, 2011

Two views of the Jungle


Here you can see the poppies, convolvulus, forget-me-not, a morning glory that's worked its way over from Insanity Plant, and if you have really good eyes, a Five Spot nemophila. In the bottom right corner you can see the top of the asters, and in the bottom left, the huge green leaves are the hollyhocks. And of course that tower of green on the left side is Insanity Plant.

One thing you can't see is that there is also a big and healthy clump of California bluebells, whereas the ones in the window boxes are long gone. But it's leaning outside the railing and impossible to get pictures of.


And these are obviously my poppies. You can see one Iceland one (the yellow spot on the left). There is also an orange one but you probably can't see that one. The Iceland poppies have been holding their own, but most of this is Flanders. I don't mind, and for next year I want them to lean out over the street like this again, but next year I'm gonna plant fancier varieties that don't come by the thousands. Or maybe I'll seed fancy varieties early in the spring, and once they've got a good headstart, I'll seed a pinch of Flanders, for volume.

No comments: