Friday, August 5, 2011

You win some, you lose some

My friend Ioana moved to Edmonton. That's sad.

On the other hand, she couldn't take all her planters with her, so she gave four to me. They're all square, which is awesome because that makes way better use of my limited space. The biggest one is labelled as 13" but in practice it's only 12", and 12" deep, so that's a cubic foot. I immediately repotted my pansies into it. It gives them three times as much surface area and seven times as much volume as the little green planter. Also, I got to break open Le Bag of Cow Dung. Good news: composted cow dung neither looks nor smells like cow dung. I also put some bone meal in there. It's supposed to promote roots and flowers.

To my surprise, when I got the pansies out of their pot, there were no roots showing. How can so much flowers grow from so little roots?

Well, whatever. If they want more roots, they have room to grow them, and if they don't, they'll just colonize the surface. Bearing in mind that next year there will be four times as much seeds in only three times as much room, though, it's still gonna be about as roomy as a Mexican prison in there.

I'll miss you, Ioana!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I was sad to see her go, too.