Thursday, August 18, 2011

More dumb things I read in a book

It's funny, usually I'm a big fan of learning from books, then getting experience once you know the book. And usually I think if you're not doing what the book says, you're an ape and you shouldn't be a construction boss. (Don't mind me, I have a hate on for stupid construction bosses. And stupid bosses in general. But anyway.)

Apparently, this doesn't apply to gardening, because I keep reading books on gardening and like I said, each is dumber than the last. Some dumb things I've read in books so far include:

  • Don't plant all your blue flowers together.

  • Use treated lumber to make raised beds in your vegetable garden. (Seriously, do NOT do that. Treated lumber is treated with really evil pesticides which are carcinogenic and leech into the ground, thence into your vegetables. Some of it also contains arsenic.)

  • Always plant odd numbers of each variety together.

  • Don't have more than one garden gnome.

And the dumbest thing so far which I just read today: if a plant fails, never ever try it again.

What sense does that make? If a plant fails, figure out why and what you can do different, and try again. Unless the plant is very expensive and the odds of it succeeding are very low, what have you got to lose by trying again? I'm growing baobabs. If they fail, I'm sure as heck gonna try them again. I've tried flax three times and I'm getting closer to not failing every time. I had to do pansies two or three times before I got any flowers, and likewise asters, and now they're beautiful.

Like they say, quitters never win, winners never quit.


No comments: